A new way to show you are qualified to work in the complex health care physical environment.
Health care facilities are different than other job sites. They are highly regulated, operate around-the-clock, and house vulnerable patients. Everyone who works on a health care site -- from those doing a day of construction work to those with full-time positions in a hospital -- should understand the complex health care environment.
New! The Certified Health Care Physical Environment Worker online exam is now available in English and Spanish. Scroll down to the Registration section on this page to register for the exam.
Contractors, subcontractors, and other workers
Get ASHE certified through our online program and show that you understand health care and will be ready to work as soon as you get on site.
Health care leaders
Protect your patients and your organization by requiring ASHE certifications in your bid specifications. Ensure that workers in your facility understand the health care environment.
ASHE has developed a chart showing which certifications are appropriate for various professionals.
Which certification is right for me?
The exam covers basic topics that workers need to know about working in health care and how it is different than working in other industries. The 10 main topics include:
- Construction in health care facilities
- Construction risk assessments
- Infection control and prevention
- Infection Control Risk Assessments
- Non-infectious environmental risks
- Construction practices in health care facilities
- Life safety and fire safety
- Interim life safety measures
- Utility system shutdowns
- Project closeout and transition to occupancy
ASHE offers several resources to help you prepare for the exam. ASHE members get discounted rates to access these preparation materials. Resources include:
- Book: Working in Health Care Handbook: A Guide for Facility Business Partners, Construction Professionals, and Subcontractors
- Education program: Working in Health Care: Certified Health Care Physical Environment Worker Education & Exam Review
- Online education program: Safe Day One, offered by the Kentucky Society of Healthcare Engineers, an ASHE preferred education provider
- Video: Today You Are Healthcare, an online training video for construction workers.
Example: A201-2017 General Conditions of the Contract for Construction
A201-2017 General Conditions of the Contract for Construction 3.9 Superintendent
REVISE § 3.9.1 The Contractor shall employ a superintendent that is a Certified Healthcare Constructor as certified by the American Hospital Association Certification Center and necessary assistants who shall be in attendance at the Project site during performance of the Work. The superintendent shall represent the Contractor, and communications given to the superintendent shall be as binding as if given to the Contractor.
REVISE § 3.4.3 The Contractor shall enforce strict discipline and good order among the Contractor’s employees and other persons carrying out the Work. All employees and other persons carrying out the work shall possess a valid Certified Health Care Physical Environment Worker certification from the American Society for Health Care Engineering. The Contractor shall not permit employment of unfit persons or persons not properly skilled in tasks assigned to them.