FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Deanna Martin
ASHE celebrates award recipients at Annual Conference
CHICAGO – The American Society for Healthcare Engineering (ASHE) of the American Hospital Association is recognizing outstanding members for their dedication to improving the health care physical environment. ASHE presented the awards during its 51th Annual Conference Aug. 3-6 in Chicago.
The Crystal Eagle award, ASHE’s “lifetime achievement” award, was presented to George Mills, MBA, FASHE, CEM, CHFM, CHSP, director of the Department of Engineering at the Joint Commission. Mills began his health care career in a 170-bed facility in rural Minnesota and later focused most of his career on regulatory compliance. He has spearheaded several important changes in codes and standards and is dedicated to optimizing the health care physical environment.
The President’s Award, which is presented at the discretion of the sitting ASHE president to an individual who goes above and beyond to optimize the health care physical environment, was presented to David L. Howard, CHFM, with Penrose Saint Francis Health Services in Colorado Springs, Colo.
ASHE also recognized members who attained senior (SASHE) and fellow (FASHE) status within ASHE. The SASHE designation is bestowed on those who have been ASHE members in good standing for at least five years and have supported ASHE in terms of education and leadership. The following members are new SASHE recipients:
- Robert A. Gance, RHSO, CHFM, SASHE, Boulder Medical Center, Boulder, Colo.
- Juan Alonzo Gonzalez, CHFM, CHESP, SASHE, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas
- Shelley G. Horton, Jr., CHFM, SASHE, Shriners Hospital for Children, Shreveport, La.
- Michael C. Mattox, CEM, LEED AP, SASHE, Schneider Electric, West Chester, Ohio
- Bart K. Miller, CHFM, CHC, SASHE, St. Mary Medical Center, Langhorne, Pa.
- Shadie (Shay) R. Rankhorn, Jr., CHFM, CHSP, LLE, SASHE, Mountain States Health Alliance, Johnson City, Tenn.
- Ron Shake, CHFM, SASHE, Sullivan County Community Hospital, Sullivan, Ind.
- Dr. Yeqiao Zhu, SASHE, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas
The FASHE designation is bestowed on those who have been ASHE members in good standing for at least seven years and have supported ASHE through education, leadership, and written contributions. The following member is a new FASHE recipient:
- Mark A. Mears, Sr., CHFM, FASHE, Union Hospital, Elkton, Md.
ASHE leaders also announced the following emerging regional leaders from each of ASHE’s 10 regions. The Emerging Regional Leader award recognizes people for their contributions to the fields of health care engineering and facilities management; planning, design, and construction; safety; clinical and biomedical engineering; and technical management.
- Region 1: Lou Castelli, SUNY Upstate Medical, Syracuse, N.Y.
- Region 2: Christopher J. Reitz, AIA, CHFM, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Region 3: William G. Baird, Appalachian Regional Healthcare System, Boone, N.C.
- Region 4: William A. Elrod, CHFM, Central Georgia Health System, Macon, Ga.
- Region 5: Kurt Martz, CHFM, Adventist Hinsdale/LaGrange Hospital, Darien, Ill.
- Region 6: Ellen Rasmussen, Sanford Health, Fargo, N.D.
- Region 7: Rick D. Scivally, CHFM, CHSP, Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Hurst-Euless-Bedford, Bedford, Texas
- Region 8: Michael Stallbaumer, Nemaha Valley Community Hospital, Seneca, Kan.
- Region 9: Guy Samuel Shoaf, Jr., CHFM, St. Mary’s Hospital & Holy Cross Hospital, Tucson, Ariz.
- Region 10: Rick McGuffey, Sky Lakes Medical Center, Klamath Falls, Ore.
For more information on ASHE awards, click here.
# # #
ASHE is a personal membership group of the American Hospital Association. More than 11,000 members count ASHE as a key source of professional development, industry information, and advocacy, including representation on key issues that affect their work in the physical health care environment. For more information about ASHE, contact 312-422-3800 or visit ashe.org.