FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Deanna Martin
ASHE award recipients work to improve the health care environment
CHICAGO – The American Society for Healthcare Engineering (ASHE) of the American Hospital Association is recognizing members for their dedication to improving the health care physical environment. ASHE will present the awards during its 50th Annual Conference July 21-24 in Atlanta.
ASHE Executive Director Dale Woodin, CHFM, FASHE, said the award recipients are making significant contributions to the field. “Every one of our honored members has a lot to be proud of,” Woodin said. "Whether ASHE is recognizing them for their dedicated service, innovation, or leadership qualities, these professionals are furthering our collective goal of optimizing the health care physical environment."
ASHE’s "lifetime achievement" award, the Crystal Eagle award, will be presented to Douglas S. Erickson, FASHE, CHFM, HFDP, CHC, president of TME, Inc. For more than 38 years, Erickson has been a driving force in bringing about comprehensive improvements to the health care physical environment.
The President’s Award, which is presented at the discretion of the sitting ASHE president to an individual who goes above and beyond to optimize the health care physical environment, was presented to Arthur D. Kjos, AIA, NCARB, FASHE, principal at Clark/Kjos Architects.
The team from the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is the 2013 winner of the Excellence in Health Care Facility Management award, which is sponsored by Trane. That award is given to those implementing new or innovative programs or processes.
ASHE also recognized members who attained senior (SASHE) and fellow (FASHE) status within ASHE. The SASHE designation is bestowed on those who have been ASHE members in good standing for at least five years and have supported ASHE in terms of education and leadership. The following members are new SASHE recipients:
- Edward M. Browne, CHFM, SASHE, Cape Code Healthcare, Hyannis, Mass.
- York W. Chan, CHFM, CHC, SASHE, Advocate Health Care, Oak Brook, Ill.
- Gary Giovinazzo, CHFM, SASHE, Metropolitan Hospital Center, New York, N.Y.
- Sean M. Goings, CHSP, SASHE, Schneider Electric, Houston, Texas
- James H. Gross, CHFM, SASHE, Nicholas H. Noyes Memorial Hospital, Dansville, N.Y.
- Steven L. Gulick, CHFM, CHSP, SASHE, Stillwater Medical Center, Stillwater, Okla.
- Gary L. Hempeck, CHFM, BS, SASHE, St. Joseph’s Hospital, St. Paul, Minn.
- Dr. Frederic C. Lastar, CHFM, SASHE, Phoenix Children’s Hospital, Phoenix, Ariz.
- John D. Maurer, CHFM, CHSP, SASHE, the Joint Commission, Oakbrook Terrace, Ill.
- Gary Milewski, CHFM, SASHE, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Raleigh, N.C.
- James C. Ostrom, CHFM, SASHE, OSF HealthCare System, Peoria, Ill.
- Jona Roberts, CHFM, SASHE, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, N.H.
- Dennis E. Smith, CHFM, SASHE, Catholic Health Initiatives, Manhattan, Kan.
- Ron D. Thetford, CHFM, SASHE, Valley View Regional Hospital, Ada, Okla.
The FASHE designation is bestowed on those who have been ASHE members in good standing for at least seven years and have supported ASHE through education, leadership, and written contributions. The following members are new FASHE recipients:
- Robert H. Bartels, CHFM, FASHE, Safety Management Services, Inc., Arlington Heights, Ill.
- Arthur D. Kjos, AIA, NCARB, FASHE, Clark/Kjos Architects, Portland, Ore.
- Leo T. Old, CHFM, CHC, FASHE, EnSafe, Inc., Memphis, Tenn.
ASHE leaders also announced the following emerging regional leaders from each of ASHE’s 10 regions. The Emerging Regional Leader award recognizes people for their contributions to the fields of health care engineering and facilities management; planning, design, and construction; safety; clinical and biomedical engineering; and technical management.
- Region 1: John A. Gaetano, CHFM, Faxton-St. Luke’s Healthcare, Utica, N.Y.
- Region 2: Francis J. Connelly, CHFM, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Region 3: Michael S. Elks, PE, CHFM, CHE, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
- Region 4: David Kovacs, Florida Hospital-Flagler, Palm Coast, Fla.
- Region 5: Matthew L. Greis, CHFM, St. Elizabeth Edgewood, Edgewood, Ky.
- Region 6: Laurie Anseth, CHFM, Allina-Buffalo Hospital, Buffalo, Minn.
- Region 7: Steven L. Gulick, CHFM, CHSP, Stillwater Medical Center, Stillwater, Okla.
- Region 8: Sean M. Mulholland, PE, CHFM, CHC, Penrose -St. Francis Health Services, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Region 9: Norman D. Lantz, CHFM, Providence Little Company of Mary Hospital Medical Center, Torrance, Calif.
- Region 10: Benjamin A. Myers, BOC, CHFM, Deaconess Hospital/Rockwood Health Systems, Spokane, Wash.
For more information on ASHE awards, visit ashe.org/awards.
ASHE is a personal membership group of the American Hospital Association. More than 11,000 members count ASHE as a key source of professional development, industry information, and advocacy, including representation on key issues that affect their work in the physical health care environment. For more information about ASHE, contact 312-422-3800 or visit www.ashe.org.