Healthcare Energy Guidebook
This guidebook profiles the U.S. healthcare market on size and energy-related characteristics and provides energy benchmarking data that can be used to make meaningful comparisons between healthcare facilities. The intent of the guidebook is to provide assessment of practices, methodologies, and technologies being applied for the purpose of improving energy efficiency in hospitals.
This guidebook will enable managers to gain a better understanding of the key characteristics of healthcare facilities that have lower energy usage and those that have higher energy usage. Managers can also look at practices that seem to make little or no difference. When future projects are considered, they may want to promote the projects that are characteristic of top performers and re-evaluate those that are characteristic of low performers or seem to make little difference.
As a primary goal of ASHE’s Healthcare Energy Project (HEP), this publication is designed to provide healthcare engineers with technical guidance to increase the energy performance of their buildings. The scope of this guidance covers technology upgrades and operations and maintenance (O&M) practices (including preventive maintenance plans) of lighting, HVAC load reductions, fan systems, and HVAC plant operations.
Please note that the documents available for download here are print-only PDF files. The full document will take a few minutes to fully download to your computer. Dial-up users are advised to download the document a section at a time.
Complete Document: Healthcare Energy Guidebook (4,239KB)
- Executive Summary & Table of Contents (135KB)
- Chapter 1: Introduction (124KB)
- Chapter 2: Background – Overview of Hospital Market (951KB)
- Chapter 3: Energy Use in the Healthcare Industry (66KB)
- Chapter 4: Healthcare Energy Project Survey Results (402KB)
- Chapter 5: Best Practices (314KB)
- Appendix A: Summary Statistics (118KB)
- Appendix B: Survey Tool (120KB)
- Appendix C: Spreadsheet Benchmarking Tool (141KB)
- Appendix D: Glossary (154KB)
- Appendix E: Highlighted Summary Statistics (284KB)
- Appendix F: Qualitative Data (1,066KB)
- Appendix G: Summary Statistics by Region (208KB)
- Appendix H: Statistical Significance (187KB)