4 ACHIEVEMENTS: HOW ASHE IS HELPING HEALTH CARE FACILITIES WITH SUSTAINABILITY
Wednesday, July 12, 2017
How can you do more with less to make your health facility more energy efficient? If you've asked yourself this question, you know that you can't manage what you don't measure - and that applies to your health care facilities' energy use.
If you're just starting to take strides in managing and benchmarking your health care facility's energy use, here are a couple key ASHE sustainability programs to take note of:
- Energy to Care. This free benchmarking and awards program helps hospitals and other health care facilities track and benchmark energy use, become more efficient, and redirect energy savings toward patient care.
- Sustainability Roadmap for Hospitals. This website developed in collaboration with two other American Hospital Association membership groups - the Association for the Healthcare Environment (AHE) and the Association for Healthcare Resource & Materials Management (AHRMM) - features instructions on dozens of energy, water, waste, and supply chain efficiency projects proven to work in the health care environment.
These programs contributed to ASHE being named the 2017 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year-Energy Efficiency Program Delivery Award winner, by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy.
"This award recognizes the leadership and dedication of the ASHE Board of Directors, Sustainability Committee, Energy to Care program partners, and of course our members who have made the commitment to energy efficiency within their facilities," said ASHE Executive Director PJ Andrus, MBA, CAE. "We are excited to continue building on the success of the Energy to Care program."
Without further ado, here are the results of ASHE's collective efforts that have helped health care facility teams around the country increase efficiency in their hospitals and clinics.
Managing your health care facility's energy usage doesn't have to be daunting - in fact, it can be a fun way to engage your team to reach new goals. If you're not sure where to start, look no further than ASHE's free Energy to Care and Sustainability Roadmap for Hospitals programs.
The 2017 ASHE Annual Conference also offers sessions to help you manage and measure energy use for your health care facilities:
- Energy Management in a Critical Access Hospital. Hear how an independent rural critical access hospital achieved ENERGY STAR® certification and its place among the top 10% of energy efficient hospitals in the country while facing challenges of an emergency room addition, tight budget, and small-numbered staff.
- Shoot for the Stars: Cost Savings of Designing to ENERGY STAR® Certification. Learn how Memorial Hermann Health System, Ascension Health, and Mercy Health presented data to quantify the costs and savings associated with the decision to design to ENERGY STAR® standards.
- Decreasing Hospital Energy Consumption While Improving Patient Comfort with Proactive HVAC Analytics and Decision Support. This session presents a practical example of the essential steps to establish an energy plan, build an energy team, and employ an automatic HVAC fault detection and diagnostic system as strategic decision support to increase energy savings, patient satisfaction, and operational performance.
View Schedule View All News